maandag 17 juli 2023

A painting full of pattern

 This time I want to share a painting by Jo Koster (1868-1944), a Dutch female painter. I saw this painting in the newest exhibition in the Singer Museum, it is all about "Love for colour", see here for more information. The exhibition shows some lovely paintings from a private collection and their own collection, I liked a lot of them. 

But I noticed this painting by Jo Koster because of the colour use and all the patterns she put into it.


Here is a close-up of the patterns: the dress is checkered, and the landscape is dotted and striped. So there is a lot of pattern combined and still it does not bother me. You want to look up close and study the pattern. It must have been a lot of work to get it right. But I think it is beautiful.
In class I once had to paint in dots, I started enthusiastically on an island landscape but sort of got lost along the way. Such an intense technique is quite a challenge. I did finish the painting though.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten